Sunday, January 28, 2007

My Favourite Things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

Snow season has begun and Mark and I have been blessed with our first sighting of falling snow- awwww. Late last week there was talk that snow was on it's way and on Wednesday it finally arrived. I peeked out the window on Wednesday morning and didn't see anything except for a grey, miserable typicaly English Winter day but when we stepped outside we were greeted with the softest, lightest falling of snow. It was amazing, although the romance of the situation was killed somewhat with Mark's comment of "You look like your hair is covered in dandruff". Nice Mark, really nice.

The snow continued to fall throughout the day and it was beautiful, I'm ashamed to admit that I got more distracted by it than the kids. I'd be standing at the front of the class teaching away when I'd catch sight of fresh snow falling and be completely mesmerised. The students, never missing a moment would all stop, look at me for a nanosecond and then go all feral and run around outside. Even though all my warnings and threats of detentions/ beatings/ decapitations etc. fell on deaf ears which would normally have my blood pressure going through the roof I enjoyed a few moments of seeing them behaving like children. Yes, they attempted to throw snowballs at me but I really liked the innocence of the situation. Maybe my judgement was snowed under (boom, tish) but watching my normally swearing, punching, drug-dealing kids playing in all that pure white snow was really beautiful. I don't know if you've got a brilliant new television show in Australia yet called 'Ugly Betty' which is my current TV obsession but there was such a sweet quote in it that I really related to while watching my students.

Wilhelmina: "Snow is a magical blanket, it hides what's ugly and makes everything beautiful. "

Geez, I'm really beginning to sound like a Desperate Housewives voiceover now. Somebody slap me.

1 Comments:

At 5:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, seems like you had an i almost died in an aeroplane expericence. I have them from time to time, but i have to look like its alright and i wanted this to happen face, which is hard when you feel like eating your lunch for a second time etc... but don't worry planes these days can withstand a huge amount of force thrown at them so its just you happen to be in a fexible tin tube that acts as a shock absorber for the wings, don't sweat it its suppose to be that way, anyway have a good one and i will post later Chirgs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home