Day 7 & 8 - The Journey Back, France.
Grudgingly packed all our possessions for our journey back to the U.K. and said goodbye to our German speaking TV (we watched Indiana Jones, Serendipity, Forrest Gump, Charmed, Die Hard and Goldeneye all in badly dubbed German). I was not looking forward to the long, boring journey back.

Several hours and truck stops later we arrived in Metz, France which sounds exciting except that the hotel was in the middle of nowhere and it was late (I have a strange feeling of dejavu). We ate our meal at the hotel restaurant which we thought was alright but several people ended up getting food poisoning and even more refused to pay. Just goes to show what food connoisseurs we are hey?
After leaving the hotel the next morning we drove on to Calais to the ferry port. We arrived in Calais with time to spare so we stopped off at a huge French shopping centre. Oh. My. I was in love, IN LOVE. I felt like doing a Pope and kissing the ground and I only barely refrained from openly weeping tears of joy. It was just like Westfield Parramatta except without the hoods. Unfortunately we only had an hour and a half and we had to eat too (I would have given that up too before thinking better of it). We raced around to several shops and were ecstatic to find my clothing size *happy dance*.
When the time was up I resentfully dragged myself out of the shopping centre (don’t worry, I’ll never forget you, you’ll always have a place in my heart). Back on the coach we headed off again to what I thought was going to be the ferry Port. You can imagine my surprise when we pulled up outside a large warehouse. My surprise soon turned to livid anger when I noticed that we were going to spend the next hour looking inside liquor shop. I was so mad that I was deprived of spending time with my new love to buy booze. I was even more furious because I had lost my beanie at the shopping centre and couldn’t get it back. Most of the other passengers looked like they were in heaven dragging back trolleys laden with cheap alcohol (I admit it was indecently cheap) while I looked like a sullen, crazy person muttering to myself. I’m TOTALLY over it now, DO YOU HEAR ME? I’M OVER IT.
Got to the Ferry Port and onto the ferry and had a gut churning journey back to Dover (whoever said that you don't feel the motion on those big cruise liners needs their heads checked). After that ferry trip I was almost glad to get back to the coach back to Scotland…Almost.

Green is not your colour...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home