Homesickness
Missing all things Australian at the moment: the weather, the food, the accent, the sense of humour and the big hole in the ozone layer (the winter sun here has absolutely no guts). We haven’t met any other Australian’s since we’ve been here and nobody really gets us (that's right, none at all). My colleagues can’t understand my Aussie slang (the saying ‘as thick as a brick’ really confuses them) and my idea of a joke that people at home just get is really misinterpreted.
One of the saddest things I’ve taken to doing is watching old Neighbours episodes to hear that voice, I could listen to that accent all day long (unfortunately due to familiarity Mark doesn’t count). There’s a British knockoff of Survivor on television at the moment called I’m a Celebrity get me Out of Here and it’s set in the ‘Australian jungle’ (Rainforest in Queensland) one of the celebs is our one and only Jason Donovan. It feels strangely comforting watching him with his ocker accent after living in the U.K. for so many years. I’m definitely NOT coming back to Australia with that ‘orrible ‘Astens’ accent. I know it makes me sound like such a snob but honestly it gives the word ‘common’ a whole new meaning- Henry Higgins would be having a field day here.
Foods I miss:
- Tim Tams;
- Caramello Koalas;
- Arnott’s Shapes;
- Liz’s pavlova (mine sucks in comparison);
- Anzac biscuits;
- Tilba Cheese (especially Tilba Trilogy- oh yeah);
- Mango;
- Minties and Fantales;
- Cherry Ripe;
- BBQ Sauce;
- Proper bacon;
- Mamee Noodles;
- Vegemite squeezed between two Saos (so that the worms appear).
Another thing that is really grating on me is the Smoking policy in the restaurants and pubs. Once upon a time smoking was everywhere in Australia too but it’s so easy to forget the bad old days. I’m just so over going out and coming home smelling like an ash tray but the ban probably won’t be enforced until it’s time for us to head back home. Grrrrr.
I think one of the biggest urban legends of all time is the quality of the clothes shopping in England. Read my words- IT BITES!!! When I began telling people that I was moving to England their eyes would all glaze over and they’d sigh "think of all the shopping…" Well whoever gave me such high hopes and shifty advice, you’re dead. I’ve not found one garment that I would ever consider dragging home with me. Firstly there seems to be a serious issue with the sizing. Most shops carry from a Size 10 (I’m a 6- waaaahhhh) and in Hastings the situation is even more dire as the sizes really start at a 12 (probably because all the women are pregnant for most of the time). Oh yeah, before I forget, it’s all a big rip off too. Talk about Bollocks.
But I think my all time lowest moment to date was looking at You Tube and downloading That Qantas Ad (and yes I went on YouTube with the soul mission to find this) and getting all misty eyed. I think I may be just a little bit hormonal and lacking my Vitamin D- Give me Sun!!! NOW!!!

1 Comments:
You must bump into some Aussies soon. Over here, everyone I know knows somebody who is holidaying or working in England/Europe.
Hey, we miss you guys too but we have all the Tim Tams etc we want!
Post a Comment
<< Home