Thursday, December 07, 2006

Lesbian Teacher Fondles Student

Welcome to Hastings

This was the headline of Hastings local newspaper the week we arrived in Hastings. This headline was enough to attract my attention and then I read on... What's this? This is our school on the front cover and one of our colleagues embroiled in this scandal. This did not bode well but due to our idealism and not yet starting our new jobs we chose to hide the newspaper away and not think about it *la, di, da, di, da*

Several months later while sick at home with the flu again (poor me) I came across the article again and now settled into our jobs I look at this article with new eyes. While I do not know all the details of the case, I do know the type of behaviour some of our students regularly exhibit. In my job I often have students in my classroom for one-on-one tuition (usually because they're so badly behaved that they've been chucked out of their regular classes). I was appalled and shocked to have one of my year 7 students tell me quite matter of fact that "I could say you groped my boobs and bum and you'd get into so much trouble". I was absolutely horrified. It's like some sort of bizarre Sliders world here (you remember that TV show from the 90's- that was top notch TV). It's like Mark and I got on the plane to England and somehow crossed into a parallel universe where children rule the world. Mark had the privledge of being called a "pervert" by a Year 10 girl last week too and I felt so sick as those sort of accusations could completely ruin your life.

As for the former PE teacher, the case went to trial but the jury could not come up with a decision so she was released on bail. She had to escape to another part of the country and recently I've heard she's changed her name. I'm not saying that she should be considered totally innocent (she definitely acted unwisely by having an affair with the girl's mother) but if she is innocent of the act she is accused of I really feel for her. She has given up teaching because as she says" This has been very upsetting and I never want to be in the position where such damaging and hurtful allegations could happen again." Everyday as I walk through the school gates I just hope that an incident like this never happens at our school again.

1 Comments:

At 5:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pray for your safety everyday. May God protect you both in every way.Mumma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home